October 12, 2018
Jenny Haberlin, Chief Business Official
Rim of the World Unified School District is participating in the Great California Shake Out. The shake out is an annual statewide earthquake drill that takes place on October 18, 2018, at 10:18 am. This drill, along with many other emergency preparedness activities and trainings are examples of our continued efforts to be prepared in an emergency and keep our staff and students safe. Information on the districts Risk Management activities can be round on our website. https://www.rimsd.k12.ca.us/Page/1617
We encourage families and community to participate in the Great Shake Out. Visit shakeout.org to register and plan your own drill.
The 30-day rollover period for Free and Reduced priced meals has expired. If you are required to fill out an application each year or you would like to start participating in the Free/Reduced meal program, please submit an application online. Eligibility for Free or Reduced priced Breakfast and Lunch is based on income and size of household. If you qualify, other benefits include fee waivers for the PSAT, SAT, and ACT, savings on AP exams, & certain college application fee waivers.
We encourage you to complete your application before October 31st. Please visit Child Nutrition Services website at https://www.rimsd.k12.ca.us/Page/1923 for more information.
MEET YOUR RIM OF THE WORLD SCHOOL BUS DRIVERS
Rim of the World Transportation Department transports approximately 3,000 students to and from school each day. Our drivers are required to receive extensive training each year. Our fleet is inspected by the CHP and by staff on a daily and monthly basis. Listed below are some of the requirements to become a professional bus driver.
- Obtain a Commercial license B with P & S endorsements and must be air brake qualified.
- Complete over 40 hours of training for a School Bus Driver Certificate (this includes a written test, first aid training, behind the wheel test and fingerprinting/background check through CHP, DOJ & FBI).
- Medical examiners certificate obtained by a national registered M.D.
- Enrollment in the DOT random drug testing pool & DMV pull notice program.
- Complete 10 hours of training annually to maintain a School Bus Drivers Certificate and re-take the CHP written & drive test every five years.
- Requires mechanical knowledge and pupil management skills to transport students to and from school safely in one of the most challenging driving conditions in the nation.
- Receive training and education on new or revised laws and regulations. Complete all annual district required mandated training.
The district has recently installed the “Child Safety Alert system” in all busses. This alarm system will ensure that no child is left on a school bus.
It is difficult to recruit and retain qualified drivers. The District offers classes twice a year for free to obtain a school bus drivers certificate. The next class is scheduled for May 2019. Please visit https://www.edjoin.org/ in early March to apply for the next class.
Lauren Tovar, Principal, Valley of Enchantment Elementary School
A school community is comprised of many members. A key support system for the students and staff of Valley of Enchantment Elementary is the PTA. The VOE PTA supports the school by planning student activities, organizing staff appreciation events, fundraising, organizing Wednesday Packets, volunteering in classrooms and fundraising. The next VOE PTA event is Trunk-or-Treat on October 24, 2018, from 5:30pm-7: 30 pm. This event will include food, music, and fun. If you are interested in being involved or need additional information, please email email@example.com. The VOE students and staff would like to thank the PTA and all of our volunteers for making VOE such a special place.