ROWUSD Community COVID-19 Information
To: Rim of the World Community
Date: March 10, 2020
Re: coronavirus (COVID-19)
The national news coverage concerning the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) has sparked conversations and questions regarding the health and safety of our students and staff. Watching the news reports may be unsettling and we understand your concerns. We would like to reassure you that our district, in partnership with all districts in San Bernardino County, has been working with San Bernardino County Superintendent of Schools and the County Health Department. They are our lead agencies and putting information out to the public county-wide. ROWUSD follows the guidance from local, state and federal public health agencies. Currently, the health risk of COVID-19 to the general public in our region remains low. Regardless, we encourage you to prevent the spread of germs by following the health guidelines from the Center for Disease Control:
* Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
* While sick, limit contact with others as much as possible to keep from infecting them.
* If you or your child is sick with flu/cold or respiratory virus symptoms, the CDC recommends that you stay home for at least 24 hours after your fever is gone except to get medical care or for other necessities.
* Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. If you don’t have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your sleeve or arm.
* Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand rub. Here is a three-minute video from the CDC about proper handwashing: https://youtu.be/eZw4Ga3jg3E
* Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth. Germs spread this way.
* Clean and disinfect surfaces and objects that may be contaminated with germs like the flu.
* Do not send your child to school if he/she has a temperature of 100°F or higher. Students must be fever-free for 24 hours without having taken fever-reducing medication (i.e. Advil, Tylenol, Motrin, etc.)
* Health officials say people should not wear masks if they are not sick and are not in contact with someone who is infected.
We want to emphasize that there are no known cases of coronavirus in our schools, and they remain a safe place for your children, and we are working diligently to take preventative measures.
Cleaning Procedures: Our custodial staff is routinely disinfecting all schools, including table-tops, door handles, and our bathrooms. They are also checking soap dispensers in all bathrooms daily. Bus Drivers are cleaning buses as part of their routine.
Find CDC Updates HERE
Thank you for your partnership in helping to ensure that our students remain healthy and continue to learn in a safe and welcoming environment.
Rim of the World Unified School District Administration Team