WHEN DO MY BENEFITS BEGIN?
- If your hire date is the 1st day of the month, your benefits begin on your hire date. If your hire date is the 2nd - 31st of the month, your benefits begin the month following your hire date (i.e., hire date: September 15, benefits begin October 1). You have 60 days from your hire date to complete your enrollment. Your benefits will be active 5-10 days after the completion of your enrollment.
WHEN CAN I CHANGE MY BENEFITS?
- After the initial new hire enrollment period, you may enroll or make changes to your insurance during one of the following enrollment periods:
ARE MY DEPENDENTS COVERED?
- You may enroll eligible dependents during your new hire enrollment period or during one of the above referenced enrollment periods.
WHAT IS AN ELIGIBLE DEPENDENT?
- Your legal spouse, domestic partner, biological children, legal stepchildren, adopted children, children for whom you have legal guardianship. For KAISER ONLY your enrolled dependent's child is eligible if your dependent is unmarried and resides with you. Children are considered eligible for coverage up to the age of 26. Disabled children remain eligible after the age of 26.
HOW DO I REMOVE INELIGIBLE DEPENDENTS?
- If a dependent is no longer eligible due to reaching the age of 26, you will be notified with options for COBRA. If you or your dependent does not respond to the COBRA notification, the dependent will be dropped from insurance at the end of their 26th birthday month.
- If a dependent is no longer eligible due to divorce or death, log on to your employee benefits website (www.rimsd.hrintouch.com) within 31 days to upload your official document and make changes to your dependents enrollment.
WHAT DOCUMENTATION IS NEEDED TO ADD/ DELETE DEPENDENTS?
- Adding dependents requires a Marriage License for a spouse; Domestic Partnership Agreement (from the State) for a domestic partner; Certification of date of birth for biological child; Adoption Certificate for adopted children; Birth Certificate with spouse's name for step-children; State Certification for legal guardians.
- Deleting dependents requires, proof of other coverage; divorce decree; or death certificate.
WHAT HAPPENS TO MY BENEFITS IF I RESIGN?
- You are covered until the end of the month which you resign. You will be offered COBRA coverage, which can last for 18 to 36 months. COBRA is completely paid by the participant at 102% of the group premium.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS FOR RETIREES?
- See your bargaining unit’s current Employee Contract for retiree benefits.
- If you are planning to retire, it is advised that you contact, STRS or PERS, Medicare and Social Security to coordinate benefits.
DOES THE DISTRICT OFFER A SECTION 125/CAFETERIA PLAN?
- Yes. Enrollment for the Section 125 plans occurs during the regular new hire enrollment or open enrollment periods. The employee’s cost of medical, dental and vision premiums are processed through the pretax Section 125 plan. You must enroll in order to participate in the Flexible Spending Accounts for medical reimbursement or child care reductions.
- The District’s annual Open Enrollment period (generally in May). Changes made during Open Enrollment go in to effect July 1st.
- A qualifying Life Event (i.e., marriage, domestic partnership, divorce, birth, adoption, guardianship, death, loss or gain of other coverage). Changes can be made within 31 days of the Life Event. Proper documentation must be provided within 31 days.
- Change in employment status. Insurance changes can be made within 31 days.